BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, March 1, 2010

Hip Hop

When reading these two articles on the Hip Hop culture were a very hard read. Something like Hip Hop is not my strong point. I do understand that early Hip Hop stood for something. I just don't like where Hip Hop has gone. They way they talk about girls and what they do for fun is so deeming to me.

In the first article Hip-Hop, Mass Media and 21st Century Colonization by Hip-Hop, Mass Media and 21st Century Colonization says "Like mass media and popular culture, hip-hop too is often removed from its proper context as the cultural expression of a domestically-held internal colony otherwise known as Black America." Although I do agree with that statement, I feel as if Hip Hop as lost it's roots for where it started. What people "Rap" about is just so wrong in today society giving kids the wrong idea on what a role model truly is.

I do listen to Hip Hop but its "underground rap" my favorite person is Brother Ali. I like him because in his songs he talks about his real life.

Maybe because main stream Hip Hop is something I do not like, I had a hard time with this read.

1 comments:

Samantha said...

I love music, all types and listen to anything with a beat because I also love to dance. However,I agree with you on the idea that most mainstream artists talk about drugs, degrade women, and are about bling bling bling. I agree I would much rather listen to old hip hop which speaks the truth about the streets and soimetimes is about the actual life and story of a particular artist.